Hazrat Fatema Zahra (s.a.) and Hazrat Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.)
Allah has created the Ahle Bait (a.s.) from one light. Hence, every individual of the Ahle Bait (a.s.) is the identical in characteristics and brilliance. All of them are the selected, infallible and guides of Allah. However, there is a special similarity found between Hazrat Fatema Zahra (s.a.) and Hazrat Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.). Considering the brevity of the article, we shall list down only a few similarities. It would suffice to mention in the greatness and importance of Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) the fact that Janabe Zahra (s.a.) gains tranquillity through his remembrance. His memories provided her solace in the midst of tortures and griefs.
When Allah informed His Messenger (s.a.w.a.) about the martyrdom of Imam Husain (a.s.) through Janabe Jibrael (a.s.) and he (s.a.w.a.) recounted it to Janabe Zahra (s.a.), she became sad. However, when Janabe Jibrael (a.s.) informed that Imamat was destined in her progeny – amongst whom Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) will be the last Imam (a.s.) and behind whom Hazrat Isa (a.s.) will offer prayers – her sadness turned into tranquillity.
(Behaarul Anwaar, v. 43, p. 248, H. 24)
Hazrat Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) is from the progeny of Janabe Zahra (s.a.)
The Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.a.) said:
Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) is from my progeny and from the children of Janabe Fatema (s.a.).
(Sunan Abi Dawood, v. 4, p. 107, H. 4284)
This tradition not only proves that Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) is from the progeny of Janabe Fatema (s.a.) but also proves the veracity of the messengership of the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.). Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) came into this world approximately 250 years after the prophecy of Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.). The world cannot guarantee about an offspring after the first child, let alone talking about the ninth and tenth generation. Such traditions prove that Imamate is a divine position. In another tradition Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) said: O Fatema! Glad tidings unto you that Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) is from your progeny.
Janabe Fatema Zahra (s.a.) and remembrance of Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.)
Mahmood Ibn Labeed narrates:
“After the demise of the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) Janabe Fatema (s.a.) used to visit the graves of the martyrs and Janabe Hamza (a.s.) and wept inconsolably. I asked her: O Leader of all women! Your weeping has broken my heart into pieces. She replied: ‘O Abu Amr! My grief is justified. I am mourning my separation from the best of among fathers and how fervently I crave his meeting’ I asked: Did the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) declare the Imamate of Imam Ali (a.s.)? She said: ‘It is strange that you have forgotten Ghadeer.’ I said: I remember Ghadeer but I want to hear what the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) has spoken to you. She said: ‘I swear by Allah that I have heard this from the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.a.) – ‘Ali (a.s.) – whom I am making my successor – is the best amongst you. He is the leader and my successor and then his sons Hasan (a.s.) and Husain (a.s.) and nine Imams from Husain (a.s.)’s progeny. If you follow them you will find them as guides and will be rightly guided. And if you oppose them, you will be involved in discords and disagreements among your selves till the Day of Judgment’.’ I asked: O Lady! Why will they hold their silence? She (a.s.) explained: ‘An Imam is similar to the Holy Kaaba. The Holy Kaaba has to be visited; it does not come to you.’ Then she (a.s.) continued: ‘By the Almighty, if truth remained in its proper place there would be no differences among even two men – till this caliphate would succeed one after the other and the ninth son from the progeny of Husain (a.s.), i.e. our Qaem (a.t.f.s.) would reappear.’
(Kefaayah al-Asar, p. 197; Behaarul Anwaar, v. 36, p. 353, H. 224)
Janabe Fatema Zahra (s.a.) found comfort in the remembrance of Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) during the hardships that she faced after the demise of the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.a.)
Apart from this, a Hadith which is famous as ‘Lauhe Fatema (s.a.)’ – which was sent by Allah on the occasion of birth of Imam Husain (a.s.) and the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.a.) gifted it to Janabe Fatema (s.a.) – had the names of twelve Imams with their details. It contained therein mention about Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.).
Remembrance of Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) was the solace for the heart of Janabe Zahra (s.a.)
Ali Ibn Bilal has narrated from his father: “I was in the presence of the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.a.) during the last moments of his life. Janabe Fatema Zahra (s.a.) was at his side. She (a.s.) was crying incessantly. At the sound of her weeping, the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.a.) raised his head and said ‘O my beloved Fatema (s.a.)! Why do you cry so?’ She said: ‘What will happen after you? How maliciously will our rights be trampled?’ He (s.a.w.a.) said: ‘O my beloved! Don’t you know that when Allah cast His eyes on the earth He chose your father and appointed him as a messenger? Then He glanced towards the earth again and chose your husband and revealed upon me to marry you to him. O Fatema! Allah has bestowed us Ahle Bait with seven characteristics which He has not given to anyone before us or after us.
1. I am the last of the Prophets and superior to all the Prophets and the entire universe has been created (for my sake); and your father is the most beloved of Allah
2. My successor is the best of successors and most beloved of Allah; and he is your husband
3. Our martyrs are the best of martyrs and most beloved near Allah. And he is Hamza Ibn Abdil Muttalib – who is the uncle of your father and your husband.
4. My cousin is the one who flies with two wings along with the angels in the heaven. He is the cousin of your father and also your husband’s brother.
5&6. The grand-children of this nation are your children – Hasan (a.s.) and Husain (a.s.) and both are chiefs of the youth of paradise. I swear by Allah who made me a Messenger, their parents are superior to them
7. O Fatema! I swear by the One who made me a Messenger with truth that Mahdi of this nation (a.t.f.s.) is from their progeny. When the world will be in chaos, anarchism apparent, paths will be broken, people revolting against each other, elders will be not be showing mercy on the young ones, young ones will not be respecting their elders; at that time Allah will manifest him from their progeny. He will destroy the citadels of deviation and misguidance and overwhelm the polytheists.
(Kashf al-Ghummah, v. 3, p. 267;
Behaarul Anwaar, v. 51, p. 79)
Please ponder on this tradition. Those were the final moments of Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.)’s life and Janabe Zahra (s.a.) was crying inconsolably thinking of the future events. At that time the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) comforted her by mentioning about Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) – that too for the lady who is the chief of the women of paradise. This shows the importance of his remembrance.
Janabe Zahra (s.a.) – An exemplar
If Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) considers someone from the infallibles as his exemplar then it shows the person’s importance and proximity to him. Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) says: “The life of the daughter of Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.a.) is an exemplar for me.”
(al-Ghaibah of Shaikh Tusi (a.r.): p. 173)
Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.) has considered Janabe Zahra (s.a.) as his role model as she was a complete replica of the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.). Ayesha narrates: I have not seen anyone more similar to the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) in looks, gait, conversation and manners than Janabe Fatema (s.a.).
(Fatema – Behjato Qalbil Mustafa)
In one tradition the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) addressed Janabe Zahra (s.a.): “Certainly Allah is angered by your anger and is pleased with your satisfaction. Whoever hurts you has hurt me and whoever has enraged you has enraged me and whatever troubles you, troubles me.”
Hence, to consider Janabe Zahra (s.a.) as an exemplar is to consider the satisfaction of Allah and Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.) as a role model. To relate satisfaction of Janabe Zahra (s.a.) to the satisfaction of Allah demonstrates the highest degree of her conduct and infallibility.
Surah Qadr – Janabe Zahra (s.a.) and Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.)
Hazrat Imam Ja’far Sadiq (a.s.) narrates the exegesis of Surah Qadr in the following way: “The night of grandeur (Lailatul Qadr) – here the night refers to Janabe Zahra (s.a.). while Qadr refers to the true recognition of Janabe Zahra (s.a.) one who attains it, has attained the night of grandeur. Janabe Fatema (s.a.) is referred as Fatema because the creation will never be able to reach to her cognition.”
(Behaarul Anwaar, v. 43, p. 63, H. 58)
In another tradition Imam Sadiq (a.s.) said: “The night of grandeur is better than a thousand months” refers to Janabe Fatema Zahra (s.a.). “The angels and the spirit descend in it” refer to the believers who possess knowledge of the progeny of Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.). “And the spirit” refers to Ruhool Qudus i.e. Janabe Fatema (s.a.). “From all the affairs” refer to everything which is considered complete. “Till the break of the morning” means till the reappearance of Qaem (a.t.f.s.).
(Tafseer-e-Burhan, v. 4, p. 478, H. 24)
Surah Qadr begins with Janabe Zahra (s.a.) and ends with Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.). The night of grandeur is when all the affairs are finalized. They start with Janabe Zahra (s.a.) and conclude with Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.)
Janabe Zahra (s.a.) and the night of grandeur
1. Just as people are unaware of the greatness and position of night of grandeur, they are unaware of the magnificence and recognition of Janabe Zahra (s.a.)
2. Just as the night of grandeur is one of the three nights, similarly the grave of Janabe Zahra (s.a.) is at either of the three places (Jannatul Baqi, between the grave of the Holy Prophet (s.a.) and his pulpit or in her house)
3. All the affairs are declared in the night of grandeur. Just as every action is explained in a detailed way, similarly the personality of Janabe Zahra (s.a.) is the scale to measure between truth and falsehood. It differentiates between a Muslim and a disbeliever, a believer and a hypocrite.
4. Just as the night of grandeur is the night of the descent of the Holy Quran i.e. the silent Quran was revealed in this night, similarly Janabe Zahra (s.a.) is the place of descent of the speaking Quran i.e. Imamat.
5. Night of grandeur is the ascension (Me’raj) of Messengers and Successors. To accept the mastership of Janabe Zahra (s.a.) is the means of attaining the position of Prophethood and Messengership. The Prophethood of any prophet is not accepted till he accepts the greatness and love of Janabe Zahra (s.a.)
6. The night of grandeur is the centre of all the affluences, perfections, bounties and blessings. Janabe Zahra (s.a.) is the reason for all the blessings being showered towards the earth and all calamities are warded off due to her.
7. Night of grandeur is better than a thousand nights, while Janabe Zahra (s.a.) is the chief and better than all the women – first and the last
8. The night of grandeur also has a strong relation to Imam Zamana (a.t.f.s.). This night is an evidence of his presence and life. Surah Qadr and Surah Dukhaan mention about ‘all affairs’. In this night, Allah sends down all the affairs through the angels. When the angels descend with the command of Allah, it is necessary that there is a ‘master of affairs’ and ‘possessor of affairs’ who receives these affairs and sends it to the people. The love and recognition of Janabe Zahra (s.a.) is the reason for appreciating the night of grandeur and descending of the affair of Allah is the proof of existence of Imam Mahdi (a.s.)
Now let us ponder on these traditions
A Christian once came in the presence of Imam Musa Kazim (a.s.) and asked a few questions. One of the questions was regarding the first few verses of Surah Dukhaan. He said, “Tell me about the book which was revealed upon Mohammad (s.a.w.a.) through which Allah has conversed and narrated His attributes and perfections which are as follows: Haa Meem. I swear by the Book that makes manifest (the truth). Surely We revealed it on a blessed night surely We are ever warning. Therein every wise affair is made distinct.
Imam (a.s.) said: ‘Haa Meem’ refers to H. Mohammad Mustafa (s.a.w.a.). It has been mentioned this way in the book of Janabe Hud (the first meem and daal has been omitted). ‘The clear book’ refers to Imam Ali (a.s.). The ‘night’ refers to Janabe Fatema Zahra (a.s.). ‘Wise affair is made distinct’ refers to abundant goodness. It implies a series of wise men – each one following the other.”
(Al-Kaafi, Chapter of Birth of Abu al-Hasan Musa Ibn Ja’far (a.s.), H. 4)
In this tradition the night of grandeur refers to Hazrat Fatema Zahra (s.a.). Imam Mohammad Baqir (a.s.) said: “O Shias! You must use Surah Qadr as evidence and an argument. You will certainly be successful (in debating with your opponents). By Allah! It is the proof of Allah upon you after the Messenger of Allah (s.a.w.a.). Certainly this Surah is the basis and chief of religion and is the peak of our knowledge. O Shias! You debate with the people taking the help of Surah Dukhaan. This Surah is specific to those in authority (Ulool Amr) after the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.)”
(Al-Kaafi, v. 1, P. 249)
Ameerul Momineen Ali Ibn Abi Talib (a.s.) said: “Every year has the night of grandeur and in this night the affairs of entire year are sent down. These affairs are handed to the ‘the one possessing the authority’ after Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.).” Ibn Abbas questioned: Who are these? He (a.s.) said: I and eleven Imams from my progeny.”
(Al-Kaafi, v. 1, pp. 247-248)
Hence, in relation to the night of grandeur Janabe Zahra (s.a.) has a special attachment with her son, Imam Mahdi (a.t.f.s.). The love and recognition of one of them is the night of grandeur while the affairs are descended in the presence of the other through which Allah’s mercy reaches the people. Whoever is not a follower of the mastership and leadership of these great personalities will be devoid of the blessings of this night and whose heart is brimming with their mastership and leadership can succeed in any phase of life through their confirmation. He can ward off any difficulty and there will never be any instance of despair and dejection for him. This is the reason that all those who benefited from the bounties of Ahle Bait (a.s.) are safe from the curses of terrorism, intimidation and suicide bombing.